My name’s Tomás Sánchez Criado (@tscriado) and I am an anthropologist with specialisation in STS.
Currently I am Senior Researcher (TV-L 13/5) at the Humboldt-University of Berlin’s Department of European Ethnology (Chair of Urban Anthropology).
In the last years I have been developing a ‘how-to’ anthropology of inclusive urbanism and DIY ecologies of support, undertaking ethnographic and archival research on accessibility struggles and the design and maintenance of sidewalk democracy projects in Europe, with a special focus on Barcelona (Spain). In particular I’m interested in their two-fold ‘how-to’ dimension: as forms of ‘technoscientific activism’–showing how to challenge technocracy through the circulation of traces and records of this experience-based knowledge in particular documentation interfaces–; and as ‘DIY ecologies of support’–exploring different self-experimentation methods, as well as sites and encounters to elicit bodily diversity and the appropriate socio-material affordances to host it. I’m also interested in the effects this particular ‘how-to’ activist culture around inclusive urbanism and DIY ecologies of support has on both (a) the education and sensibility of designers, requiring particular pedagogic experiments and situations to come to terms with bodily diversity and multi-sensory environments; and (b) ethnographic fieldwork practices and devices, leading social scientists not only to explore different forms of ‘joint-problem making’ in the field, but also to experiment with meeting formats, types of records and accounts, for such an ethnographic engagement to matter in the search for a diverse common world.
See the publications section.
See the research section.
See the teaching section.
Previous career EXPERIENCE
– 2015-2018. Senior Researcher (TV-L 13/4-5). Assistant Professorship of Participatory Technology Design, jointly appointed between the Munich Center for Technology in Society & the Department of Architecture, Technical University of Munich.
– 2014-2015. Lecturer in Social Sciences. Psychology and Educational Sciences Department, Open University of Catalonia. STS-b (Barcelona Science & Technology Studies) research group.
– 2012-2014: Assistant lecturer / Alliance 4 Universities postdoctoral fellow at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. STS-b (Barcelona Science & Technology Studies) research group.
– 2011-2012. Assistant lecturer. Psychology and Educational Sciences Department, Open University of Catalonia.
– 2007-2011. FPU-UAM PhD Fellow. Social Anthropology, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
– Visiting fellow at the following institutions: Instituto de Historia (IH), History of Science Dept., Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas – Spanish National Scientific Council (CSIC), Madrid (3 weeks, 3.2017; 5 weeks, 9-10.2017); UC, Davis – Departments of Cultural Studies and Anthropology (1 week, 4.2017); Instituto de Psicología Social, Universidad de la República, Montevideo (2 weeks, 12.2016); Instituto de Ciências Sociais (ICS), Research Group ‘Environment, Territory, and Society’, Universidade de Lisboa (3 weeks, 10.2016); Centre for Science Studies & Department of Sociology, Lancaster University (1 semester, 10.2009-2.2010).
– Alliance 4 Universities Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (2012-2014)
– FPU-UAM PhD Fellowship, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (2007-2011)
– European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA) – Co-convenor since January 2017 of the ‘Collaboratory for Ethnographic Experimentation – #Colleex‘ network.
– European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST) – Part of the local organising committee of the 4S-EASST joint conference in Barcelona 2016 ‘Science and technology by other means: Exploring collectives, spaces, and futures’ & member of the Editorial Board of the EASST Review (2016-2018) | Student representative in the Council (2009-2010).
– Antropólogos Iberoamericanos en Red | Network of Iberoamerican Anthropologists (AIBR) – Member of the Council (2005-2011).
Please check here for an updated PDF version of my CV (April 2018)